"As one of the earliest examples of the Adirondack Great Camps, Camp Santanoni was regarded at the time of its completion as the grandest of all such Adirondack Camps to date."
(Adirondack Architectural Heritage)
The Santanoni Preserve is the largest tract of land donated to the Adirondack Preserve in the last decade. The 12,500 acre preserve is home to the Santanoni Lodge, built from 1892-93 and owned at that time by Robert C. Pruyn, a prominent Albany banker and businessman. Great Camp Santanoni, now owned by New York State and incorporated into the State Forest Preserve, is open to the public. Santanoni is located on route 28N between the Town Hall and Aunt Polly's Bed and Breakfast.
The main lodge was actually a grouping of six separate buildings all connected by a common roof and porch system. 1500 trees were used in the log construction. With its log grill work on the eaves, birch bark wall covering and hand hewn beams in the two story high ceiling of the main living area, half-log decorative patterns on many walls and doors, impressive fieldstone fireplaces, and other structural and decorative features, Santanoni is one of the most outstanding examples of Adirondack rustic architecture.
In the summer, visitors can walk or bike 4.7 miles into the camp or take advantage of wagon rides. In the winter, cross country skiers can take advantage of a beautiful, flat 10-mile round trip ski.
Equestrians - Current negative Coggins test required. Out of State horses also require health certificate.
Since 1993, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, Adirondack Architectural Heritage and the Town of Newcomb have begun to preserve some of the major buildings at Camp Santanoni. In 1998, this partnership, along with the hundreds of others who love this special place, launched the "Friends of Camp Santanoni" to provide long-term financial and volunteer support for the camp.
Although a few later Adirondack camps had more property or more or larger buildings, Santanoni's 12,900 acres, 45 or more buildings, fine rustic workmanship, and large farm operation, considered together, make Santanoni arguably the grandest of the Adirondack Great Camps. Santanoni is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Theodore Roosevelt and James Fenimore Cooper, Jr. were among many distinguished visitors who regularly visited the Pruyns at their Adirondack Camp. Robert C. Pruyn was an aide to Governor Dix, President of National Commercial Bank (now Key Bank) and a Regent of the University of the State of New York.